Pearson Mathematics is becoming Maths Aotearoa
Written by Charlotte Wilkinson
A new edition published by Edify
A series of textbooks and teacher guides that provides teachers with consistency and continuity in delivering a comprehensive mathematics programme from level 1 to level 4. The books are designed in units of work as set out in the teacher guides that build up through and across each level. Maths Aotearoa makes the links to the learning progressions as well as to the curriculum document. This allows for planning to meet the learning needs of each student in each unit.
The series encourages a range of pedagogical practices with an emphasis on problem solving as well as students developing sound mathematical knowledge
The Primary Mathematics Assessment Tool also published by Edify enables teachers to find the most likely starting unit for each of their students. This tool is specifically designed to provide information for teaching and learning purposes.
Open ended extension activities intended to challenge children’s thinking – to take the activity one step further.
- Open ended mathematical applications to allow children to:
- Develop problem solving strategies
- Demonstrate use of mathematical knowledge
- Build further mathematical knowledge
- Experience meaningful contexts for mathematics
These mini projects can also be used as assessment tasks with assessment criteria set out in the teachers guides.
At Level 1
- Maths Aotearoa Teacher Book 1a & 100 Activity Cards
- Maths Aotearoa Teacher Book 1b & 100 Activity Cards
Integrated units across all strands designed to be used in both traditional and play-based classroom settings.
At Level 3
- Teacher Book 3a
- Student Textbook 3a
- Student write on Maintenance Book 3a
- Teacher Book 3b
- Student Textbook 3b
- Student write on Maintenance Book 3b
These books cover number + algebra in both knowledge and strategy in the number and algebra strand of curriculum level 3. The books also cover Geometry + Measure and Statistics strands using mathematical thinking and knowledge from Level 3.
Maintenance workbooks are intended to provide students with opportunities to consolidate prior learning by revising key knowledge and using their mathematics to solve problems.
The books are set out in weekly assignments (9 each term). Each assignment revises some key knowledge to remind students of what they already know.
The problems are designed to make students think mathematically and use problem solving strategies rather than simply recall set procedures.
These write on workbooks can be used in class or as homework assignments.
Primary Mathematics Assessment Tool
This assessment tool is to assess a student’s ability to use their mathematics to solve problems and uses the curriculum levels and the learning progressions as the measure of progress.
- Sections 1 and 2 covering level 1 are conducted as an interview.
- Sections 3 and 4 covering level 2 are conducted with a group under guidance.
- Sections 5 and 6 covering levels 3 and 4 the students work on the problems individually followed by teacher conferencing.